Legacy Windows Finishing & Flashing Instructions
Covering the unit with plastic is recommended, especially when masonry is used, as this is a pre-finished product and needs no further painting.
- Flashing must be installed over all units. Failure to do so will void the warranty.
- After the exterior siding or brick is complete, caulk around the perimeter of the window using a quality acrylic latex caulk.
- The brickmould, blindstop, and sill are pre-finished and need no further painting, however they may be painted any color, with a quality oil or latex paint, by following the paint manufacturer's instructions.
- Do not paint the vinyl jambliner or the glazing bead in the exterior of the sash.
- The exterior of the sash may be painted, but first must be primed using a quality exterior acrylic latex primer recommended for cellular PVC.
- Insulate between the window and framing with loose fiberglass or similar material. Do not use the expanding foam type of insulation.
- Legacy Double Hung Windows are set up to be trimmed with a window stool. The stool provides a water dam to prevent water infiltration. It must be caulked across the bottom and up the ends to function properly. If a stool is not used and the window is to be trimmed in the "picture frame" style, the bottom interior stop must be moved up 3/4" to provide this water dam. The windows can be ordered pre-configured for picture frame trim, if desired. Failure to insure a water dam is present voids the warranty of the window.
- When nailing casing to the window, do not nail inside the line on the interior stop. This could damage the jamb liner and affect the normal operation of the window.
- The interior of the sash needs no further finishing, however after priming with PVC primer, they can be finished in any color, with any type of oil or latex paint.
- The interior stop does not need priming before painting.
- Do not paint the vinyl jambliner, or the locks and keepers. Also, do not get any paint on the weather-stripping.